Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Where Are They Now?

One of the things that bothers me about Project Runway is that pretty much after the show is over you never hear anything about the winners actually accomplishing anything. Christian gets a little bit more press because of his sassy attitude and since Posh loves him, but even successful contestants you don't hear much about. Jeffrey sells his clothes at major LA boutiques, Austin is a creative director for a bridal line and one time I ran into that hunky Spartan Kevin in the streets after work. But the real question is, what ever happened to Jay McCarroll?

Today I was shopping on Fred Flare when I found this.


It's the Jay McCarroll bowling bag. I don't know about this. It's $60 and it kind of looks like crap. Jay is by far my favorite PR winner and I really felt like he had the ability to take his talent far. His creations were all beautiful, quirky and totally wearable. This bag- not so much.

I tried to see if the site was selling any other of his designs but it seems like just a fluke being the only McCarroll item sold there. Nobody else seems to carry any of this stuff either. I looked to see if he had any kind of site with his designs and found out something interesting - Jay turned down the $100,000 prize that Project Runway offers because it meant 10% of his brand would be forever owned by the Weinstein Company. That would explain why he's done nothing of significance selling shit looking bags on Fred Flare I guess.

No comments: